art || how to improve your handwriting
It sounds really weird to say it out loud, but in grade 3 I literally made it my life goal to improve my cursive handwriting.
I went through the same five steps to improve your handwriting that I describe in this video, and then when it came to practicing, I would take FOREVER to copy down notes. Like seriously. I was the last one done.
Ironically, I remember my grade 3 mind thinking, “eh, I’m in grade 3. What does it really matter how fast I can copy down notes?”
In any case, that one year of embarrassment (and one very frustrated teacher) paid off. I’m really proud of my handwriting now, even though it’s gone through a lot of change in the past decade.
Steps to Improve your Handwriting
Visit websites like:
- Google images
Draw up samples
Play around with:
- character spacing
- character height
- letter shapes and styles
Decide on your favourite
- Ease of writing → can it be easy to transition to, is it suited for my way of holding a pen?
- Usability → notes + fast or precise versus readable by others?
- Appearance → does it fit your personality or your “brand”?
Practice your handwriting style by writing slowly like my grade 3 self did. I’m not a fan of purposely practicing with worksheets because it’s an unnecessary way to spend your time. Instead, make an effort to transition to your new style whenever you can!
Adapt and modify
Don’t aim for consistency! You can play around with different letter types and see what you like! Eventually, you’ll find what fits.
Now… check out my video on how to improve your handwriting below!
– Latest video: APRIL watercolour bujo set-up
– Bullet Journal monthly layout printables
– All Mistral Spirit Printables
– My Note-taking series
– Setting up your first Bullet Journal!
– Zebra Mildliner *
– Muji Hexagonal Polycarbonate Gel Ink Ballpoint pen 0.38 Retractable
– Staples AvantNext black pen (available in store only)
– Moleskine Classic Softcover *
– Filofax Executive Notebook (removable pages) *
– Pastel Coloured sticky notes *
– Transparent Muji sticky note case
– Lihit Lab Pencil Case *
* affiliate links
You might also like...
No Recipes Found
April 4, 2018 at 2:01 pm
Year after grade-school year, I received penmanship awards. Speed forward a few decades, and near-daily computer usage ultimately hammered a point: use it or lose it. There are nuns headed south on I-95, packed in a car and armed with rulers, looking for me. Oops. (Yeah, I’m trying to reawaken handwriting these days. It’s paying off, slowly, i.e. I can decipher my scrawls. Woot!)
April 5, 2018 at 7:58 am
Haha, your comment made me giggle! That’s so cool though, good luck getting your handwriting back! 😉
November 2, 2020 at 7:30 am
To be honest your article is informative. I search many site to know about hand writing but I didn’t get the information I needed. I saw your site and I read it. I got some new information from here. I think some of your tips can be applied to those too! Thank you so very much for such informative and useful content. You may like this post on Few Easy Tips: How To Improve My Handwriting