Virtual school will be different, but there are ways to make the most of the situation. You can still replicate the campus, social life, extra-curricular, and education experience at home!
This video is for all the freshmen, undergraduate and graduate students getting ready to start online courses at college or university in the fall.
I focused especially on how to build relationships, friendships and make connections despite being online – I really hope these will help you have a fulfilling and FUN school year!
All of these experiences (and research) have informed the tips I’m sharing today:
- Going into my 3rd year studying Commerce within the Smith School of Business, at Queen’s University
- Am an undergraduate Teaching Assistant for an online course
- Have taken several online courses through Coursera and the Classical Learning Resource Center
- Completed a fully virtual summer internship in audit at Ernst & Young
Visit the YouTube page for timestamps that link directly to that section of the video.
- Stay active during your breaks
- Optimize your environment
- Get dressed and ready for the day
- Make a list of “regular maintenance” tasks
- Take initiative to practice living on your own
- Make the most of being virtual
- Reach out to anyone you find interesting
- Keep a journal of anecdotes, people & events
- Reply to messages ASAP
- Create a PUBLIC personal brand
- Complete all intro posts
- Talk about ideas
- Come to every conversation with a project YOU are working on
- Ask questions and listen
- Consider different mediums
- Start a group chat
- Have a backup plan
- Make a list of personal interests and hobbies
- Actively seek out other people (upper years) with your interests
- Join Facebook groups and university chats to stay in the know
- Sign up for webinars or talks
- Attend the LIVE classes
- Say your name before talking
- Give feedback
- Actively listen
- Create a productivity schedule
- Create a study plan and stay organized
- Organize your files
- Start early on assignments
- Do course material off the computer
- Ask questions
- Supplement your learning
- Study with friends online
- Study with people from other disciplines
How will you be making the most of the online experience?
Share your thoughts in the comments!